Creaking Passenger Side Vent - A Solution - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Creaking Passenger Side Vent - A Solution

(Original post. Revised post: Passenger Side Vent Removal And Creak Fix)

One thing that bothers me when it comes to cars is interior creaks and rattles.

When I acquired my 2005 Taurus, the passenger side vent assembly would make a constant ticking noise from time to time, even when driving on a flat freshly paved road. Now I consider an occasional creak when going over bumps or traveling on a rough road to be normal, but the ticking from the vent was too much to stand.

I did find a solution that finally silenced that ticking noise. If you decide do the following, you will need some felt tape or a sheet of light-duty felt adhesive and a small flat blade screwdriver with a long thin neck.

Removing the passenger side vent from the dash is the part that is time consuming and frustrating. The Ford service manual says to carefully pry the vent barrel out on the left side. Well, there is no way to pry the barrel out without scuffing or damaging the plastic, but here's another approach. Open the glove box and insert the screwdriver behind the dash up towards the vent assembly to release the two bottom retaining clips. Tilt the barrel down as far as it can go and insert the screwdriver though the vent to release the top two retaining clips. You will need some patience with this and I also recommend that you start with the top left retaining clip. You probably will scuff the retaining clips up a little bit, but no one will see them anyway. Once you disengaged the last clip, carefully pull the vent assembly out. At this point, remove the vent door and on the opposite side of the thumb wheel, push the barrel out with your thumb. I'll explain why in a moment.

Insert the door back into the vent assembly, making sure the door operates correctly with the thumb wheel.

On the back of the face plate, you will notice several pressure points. Cut a thin piece of felt tape or felt adhesive and apply it to the back of each pressure point.

Once you are done, insert the vent assembly back into the dash. A little extra force might be required to engage the clips.

At this point, do not reinstall the barrel. Drive the car for a few days and verify that the vent no longer makes noise and is to your liking. That way, if you need to make further adjustments, you can easily disengage the clips without the barrel being in your way. When you are satisfied with the results, reinstall the barrel by inserting the right side in first and then by firmly pressing on the left side until it clicks in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine

Last edited by redhousenine; 04-17-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page