Pros and cons of 215/60/16, 225/60/16, and 215/65/16 on g3 Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fct has a spectacular aura about
Default Pros and cons of 215/60/16, 225/60/16, and 215/65/16 on g3 Taurus

Hello.

I am thinking of getting 16x7 Sport Edition F2 rims (Can you see any problems with this?).

Which of those tire sizes is the best to go with these rims? Remember that I am upgrading from the OEM size 205-65-15. According to tire size calculators, 215-55-16 is the way to go because it results in the least changes to tire diameter. However, most 215-55-16 tires are considered "high performance" tires and are just too expensive. I would like to buy Hankook Optimo H727 tires (relatively cheap, good ratings) and they only come in tire size in the title. The cost is the same. It seems like 215/60/16 is the way to go because it's closest to my stock tire size. It's still bigger, but the difference is insignificant IHMO.

What about the other two? Worth getting for better looks, hadling, braking, and reduced road noise compared to 215/60/16? I for one hate the fact how the stock diameter tires look undersized in the front wells. However, I don't want any tires to rub or the speedo to be grossly of (215-65-16 is the biggest and the worst in this respect). A little rubbing against the plastic well cover on U-turns is probably fine, but rubbing in the rear well when car is loaded with passengers and cargo is not good.

Last edited by fct; 02-17-2011 at 03:56 PM.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 85
crackhead has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to crackhead Send a message via Yahoo to crackhead

Your rims are close to the Gen 3 SHO rims. So, i would suggest going with 225-55-16.

I have been pleased with Michelin Exalto A/S. Tire rack is running a special at $124 each + $70 rebate thing.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

First of all, you have a good pick there. According to tirerack's ratings, these are the highest rated tires in the "high performance" category. The price is good IMHO. However, right now under my circumstances, I consider any tire, however good it is, with a price above $100 to be too expensive for me. The reason is that I am also considering buying 16 inch rims and would like to keep my overall costs down as much as possible. Under these conditions, the tire that might suit my needs seems Hankook H727, ranked as the best tire in "standard touring all-season" category by tirerack. This price is well under $100 for each.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement