How To Secure Loose Door Panel Trim? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 9869
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rickscarf has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to rickscarf

I've got an '02 Taurus, ever since I got it used the 'pleather' panel has been loose. I can push it in but it just pops right back out a bit whenever the door is closed. I've tried using a plastic-approved glue but that did not work very long and now has left residue. Is there a glue that anyone can recommend to get it to stay in place or is there another way I can fix this without having to remove the door panel entirely? It's not a huge deal but it is one of those things that keeps my car from feeling "perfect" that I'd like to fix if its easy to do.

Thanks!
rickscarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3540
thejcode has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via MSN to thejcode

Im not positive on gen 4's but think there the same. Plastic clips hold the panels to the door itself. There just tabs with teeth on them that wear out eventually. I myself wouldnt want to glue them on incase I want to pull the panel to fix something or change out my speakers (again).

I dont know for sure where you could by the tabs. Never actually looked for them even though I too need them. RockAuto.com might have them.

If the gen 4 is the same, there should be a screw in the door handle that you could check is still tight, if thats gone, Id imagine thats why your 02 has already got a loose panel.

Sold 1996 Sable GS; Dual Exhaust; Spoiler w/60led brake light; Glow Gauges; Fog/Driving combo lights; 150,000 miles on Friday the 13'th, July 2007.
New Ride as of Apr 4, 07: '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Every Option). If I wanted a hummer I would ask your sister (82k Miles as of July 08) Now her mom's.
New Ride as of July 20, 07: 1999 Contour SVT Mods: Pioneer P7800MP (75k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of July 23, 08: 2005 Audi A4 Quattro (53k Miles as of March 09)
New Ride as of April 24, 09: 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS X-Cab (153k Miles as of April 09)
thejcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Quote:
Originally posted by RickScarf@Sep 23 2006, 12:07 AM
I've got an '02 Taurus, ever since I got it used the 'pleather' panel has been loose. I can push it in but it just pops right back out a bit whenever the door is closed. I've tried using a plastic-approved glue but that did not work very long and now has left residue. Is there a glue that anyone can recommend to get it to stay in place or is there another way I can fix this without having to remove the door panel entirely? It's not a huge deal but it is one of those things that keeps my car from feeling "perfect" that I'd like to fix if its easy to do.

Thanks!
Could you give us more of a description of where it is on the door. Is it the panel that I have indicated in the picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panel.JPG (45.4 KB, 915 views)
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 5958
whiteguy3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think I know what you are talking about. On my GEN 3 I had the same issue now its gone. I made the fasteners inside the door panel tite by applying duck tape around them. I got new plastic clip that go into the frame of the door from the door panel from autozone. I got 4 for each door to hold each of the ends in.

Not expensive and it worked for me! Good luck!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's the panel circled in this picture. It is loose on the right side, you can see where some residue is on there from my glue attempt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car7.jpg (52.8 KB, 1084 views)
Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 371
fire_storm20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have the exact same fit problem in my G4 Sable. Just to add to the mix, Where was everyone's car assembled? Chicago or Atlanta?
TCCA Garage
fire_storm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 9497
Stocker has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I assume there's a plastic panel that the leather's attached to? It looks like your only sure fix is to take the whole door panel off and see what you can do from the back side. You may have to remove the insert completely and them use an adhesive on the entire piece .
Old 09-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 6 reviews
Bull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud ofBull Geek has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Unfortunatly heat+Ford quality on the leather door inserts didn't make for a good combination Many cars, including ones on here have the same problem. A user by the name of happygiant completly removed the leather, sanded down the plastic and painted it to match the interior. He tried to fold the leather back over and using gorilla glue to hold it down, but nothing worked.

Does anyone have access to the Ford TSB database...surely there's a fix on there for this problem, just like with the seperating dashboard on the G3.

My only other idea would be to replace the leather door inserts with inserts from a 2003 (Build 12/02) or newer Taurus, which are just hard plastic, color coded to your interior.

Go Ford <_<
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | OHV/AOD | 180K ish?

Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Any pointers on disassembling the door panel? I read how to do it in the Haynes manual, but it says to first take off the trim piece behind the door handle - as pictured above in my car, my model does not have a seperate trim piece behind the door handle to pry off.
Any instruction on how to disassemble the door panel to get back behind there would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Pretty much remove all the visible screws and then pop that sucker out with a panel remover tool. If you don't have one, you can use a BBQ fork or if you're really careful you can pull it off with your hands (not recommended since I broke my door panel by pulling too hard).

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement