Easier Oil Change Method for PTU with drain Plug - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Easier Oil Change Method for PTU with drain Plug

Having read so many posts about methods and frequency of changing the PTU oil, and also having been through a failure on my 2012 Flex, I set about to do this on my recently purchased 2013 SHO with PP and 30k miles. Having read the PTU for the PP has a temperature sensor screwed into the fill hole, which takes some inventiveness to remove, I was trying to avoid this exercise if possible. I simple decided to drain and fill from the oil drain position using a simple oil pump I bought at Autozone. I will post the photos below, but basically I drained the fluid into a measuring container. Determined in my case I had 11 oz drained. Primed the pump so the hose was filled and plugged the end. On the gear oil container, marked the full position and subtracted 11 oz plus 1 oz to account for some leakage. I installed a 1/4" pipe thread brass nipple of size that fit the pump hose into the PTU. Pumped in the oil and then went through the conniption of removing the nipple and reinserting the drain plug, dropping the plug and having the magnet hold it to the exhaust system where I couldn't see it, while I kept one finger in the drain hole. Anyway, got this done finally. Draining 11 oz meant that there was still 5 oz in the case, if this had 16 oz to start, which is the OEM spec. I'm OK with the residual as what was drained didn't look terrible compared to what I have seen before and pretty minor amount of metallic particles on the magnet. I recommend you spray some cleaner on the exhaust when finished, as you can't avoid getting some oil spillage, otherwise you will have whiffs of burning gear oil for a few days. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	187978   Click image for larger version

Name:	nipple and hose.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	187986   Click image for larger version

Name:	11oz drained.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	187994   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	188002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nipple.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	188010   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear lub.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	188018   Click image for larger version

Name:	filling.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	188026   Click image for larger version

Name:	marked.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	188034  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:

Garage
Hey thanks for that. I just purchased a 2013 SHO with 54k on the clock, I traded in my 2010 SHO (which had a PTU seal leak).

How much does a shop charge to do that job? (changing the PTU oil)

"superbia in proelio"
2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package
- Air Raid Cold Air Intake
- Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers
- Red rear SHO badge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest

I can only tell you this cost me less than $30 for oil and pump to DIY. I would ask your dealer or speak with a local mechanic. Any garage with a lift, this could take only an hour or less to complete. If your SHO is not a Performance Package, then the fill plug is easier to remove. Having a sensor in that place makes it a challenge, hence the bottom fill option.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaw302 View Post
I can only tell you this cost me less than $30 for oil and pump to DIY. I would ask your dealer or speak with a local mechanic. Any garage with a lift, this could take only an hour or less to complete. If your SHO is not a Performance Package, then the fill plug is easier to remove. Having a sensor in that place makes it a challenge, hence the bottom fill option.

Good to know, my SHO does have the PP too. Thanks for the info.

"superbia in proelio"
2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package
- Air Raid Cold Air Intake
- Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers
- Red rear SHO badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page