Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

oil filter question

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  mattm14 
#1 ·
Has anyone used a Royal Purple oil filter? I know everyone swears by K&N or Motorcraft or whatever. But I was wondering about the Royal Purple filter. It's suppose to be a premium synthetic filter. I was just wondering. Thanks

#2 ·
I have no huge opinion there. I have generally tended to use Phram in my life, but every few years they sub-out the filter to bid, so they could have good and bad years, I learned.

I will mention that in some of my smaler cars, i could fit a large, "old school size' filter. Price is usually the same. This ought to make it last longer, (but I change a filter every time, while many do every-other. And it ought to reduce back pressure, yielding another 1/2 a mouse-power... and THIS ought to allow particles to be better trapped, being under a hair less pressure. Flow MIGHT increase, a hair... on a few vehicles. On one Ford, I had to, loosen and rotate the filter tap-in several degrees.
BillSF9c

#8 ·
I will mention that in some of my smaler cars, i could fit a large, "old school size' filter. Price is usually the same. This ought to make it last longer, (but I change a filter every time, while many do every-other. And it ought to reduce back pressure, yielding another 1/2 a mouse-power... and THIS ought to allow particles to be better trapped, being under a hair less pressure. Flow MIGHT increase, a hair... on a few vehicles. On one Ford, I had to, loosen and rotate the filter tap-in several degrees.
BillSF9c

Be very careful with this. The replacement filters for a particular engine usually fall within a certain specification for differential pressure - pressure drop across the membrane. Reducing this too much, by installing a filter with a larger surface area can reduce pressure in the system and generate some unforeseen consequences. This of course, is all dependant on how the lubrication system on the particular engine is designed. I would stick with filters that were spec'ed for that particular engine, and replace them when recommended.

I do filter design/engineering for a different industry, and differential pressure across a membrane is one of the most critical aspects of design. There have been some occasions where the spec was not controlled well and drifted and had some pretty major consequences.

#5 ·
Wix, Purolator Gold, Motorcraft (made by Purolator). Not a difficult thing, a search would have shown this.

#6 ·
I get mostly Wix filters. They have a good rep and for my cars are full sized. Bosch, for example are smaller for both my Taurus and Impala. I believe there were some reputable tests done a while back that showed Purolators to be one of the better ones, Pure One maybe. Those were full sized the last time I could find them. Not sure there's much point in a super expensive filter if the filter's changed with each oil change; just avoid bottom of the line filters. There are some "scientific" reviews online that show a bunch of filters cut up and discuss the media and valving, just have to be sure the ones you like actually stay that way, designs can change whenever, brand is far less important than the innards.

There are also some interesting tests of oil and filter life using oil analysis that more or less show we change oil too often, but I'm sticking with synthetics and twice a year changes regardless. After 13 yrs our Duratec valve chain looks like it did on day one, no yellowing at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.