Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2013 SEL 3.5L water pump?

20K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  UKfordguy 
#1 ·
On my way home from the gas station today I heard what I thought was brakes squealing of another car driving by. Passed the car, still had the same noise. Hit the gas and it got even worse - now it seems to be belt-related. Hit the brakes, the noise gets louder but lower in frequency and stops after a second or two more. It sure sounded like something under the hood had some serious problems for a bit, the noise altogether lasted less than 30 seconds.

What could this be? Water pump? Where is the water pump even located on the NA 3.5? I could only see 1 belt looping around the crank pulley, tensioner, alternator, and AC, although there is a spot on the crank pulley for a second belt further in.

#2 ·
The water pump is driven by the timing chain, so it's under the timing cover. It's a major PIA to replace, 11 hours of labor and requires removing the cams and timing chain.

The second spot you see for a belt used to be for the power steering pump, but your have electric power steering instead. You probably have a pulley or bearing going bad. If it's under warranty bring it in, otherwise take the belt off and spin everything by hand to check for dry bearings and excessive play.

#6 ·
Ouch what a kick in the pants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.