What is the formula for Miles To Empty? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 42465
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 Taurus SEL, 6 engine
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
rafterscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the formula for Miles To Empty?

Hey folks, so I'm trying to figure out exactly how Miles To Empty is calculated. It's my understanding that since the reserve tank isn't factored in (correct me if I'm wrong) what is the amount in the main tank multiplied against? MPG number perhaps from the last fill up?, MPG from say the last 200 miles driven or perhaps a few different factors?

Thanks as always, I haven't been able to dig up the answer yet.
rafterscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 47183
Drives: 2007 Crown Victoria P71
Trader Score: 3 reviews
2001 SES is a jewel in the rough

I would personally think it's from the amount used (my dads trailblazer knows how many gallons of fuel it has used in its lifetime). I wish my 2001 had this because if I did my calculations right I'm getting 14.4 mpg In my duratec
1995 SHO Red - Sold
The ex-official bad ass bulls of Central New York

Need some Mach audio? PM me, plenty in stock
2001 SES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

It's a rough estimate. Computer knows how much gas is in the tank and it makes an educated guess on how many miles you have left by your current MPG.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 SES View Post
I would personally think it's from the amount used (my dads trailblazer knows how many gallons of fuel it has used in its lifetime). I wish my 2001 had this because if I did my calculations right I'm getting 14.4 mpg In my duratec
That is terrible.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 50963
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 Taurus SEL Windveil blue
Markcuda is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
It's my understanding that since the reserve tank isn't factored in (correct me if I'm wrong) what is the amount in the main tank
Wow, didn't know we had two tanks on a Taurus
Leather intirior
3.0 Vulcan motor
WeatherTech side
window deflectors.
www.Markcuda.com
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Ford uses a typical reserve capacity of 10% (of the main gas tank, not a separate tank). In other words, when the tank level gets down to 10%, the display will show 0 miles to empty. The typical unusable capacity is maybe 3-5%. So when you get down to 5%, the fuel pickup is exposed, no more fuel can be pumped, and the engine stalls.

The other part of the equation is the running average fuel economy (RAFE), which is your average fuel economy over the past 500 miles. This is a separate parameter than the displayed average economy, and is non-user resettable. The only way of reseting is is perhaps by disconnecting the battery, otherwise you have to drive for 500 miles.

So the calculation is: (% tank level-10%) x tank capacity (gals) x RAFE (MPG)

In other words, if the driving style (and thus the typical fuel economy) suddenly changes, like if the car goes from being country car to a city car, the DTE calculation will be off for the first 500 miles or so.

You can view some of these parameters in ETM if you have a 2004+ with the digital display.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement