2008 Taurus SEL Transmission Shudder Fixed! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2008 Taurus SEL Transmission Shudder Fixed!

Hey everyone, I replaced the torque converter and fluid filter in my 2008 Taurus, because the transmission had a shuddering problem that got progressively worse over a one-year period. After researching this problem on the internet, I believed that the source of the problem was a clogged filter, which in turn, caused the torque converter to go bad.

I did all of the work myself, in my garage. I want to share my experience (and a few pictures), because I could not find anything specific on how to do this, when I was searching for answers. For removing and replacing the transmission, I used a step by step procedure from Chilton's. I will mention that I could not perform a couple of the steps as written, so I improvised. I will explain how I worked around those steps, so, possibly, someone with greater automotive repair knowledge than me can point out how to perform them "correctly."

I used an engine hoist (borrowed) to support the engine, before removing the transmission. The procedure called for a special engine support bar and spreader, but I didn't know how or where to obtain one, so I improvised.

I was not able to separate the control arms from the steering knuckles, in order to remove the left and right axle halfshafts, as the procedure specified. Instead, I waited until the removal of the subframe, and the control arm ball joint studs dropped out of the steering knuckle easily. I then removed the halfshafts from the transmission. I don't believe that changing the order of operations caused any problems. I did need a large puller (borrowed from O'Reilly Auto Parts) to separate the splined axle from the wheel hub. The suspension sway bar and the steering rack are bolted to top of the subframe, and must be removed before removing the subframe. It seemed almost impossible to access the mounting bolts for these parts, but eventually I found that I could get a wrench on them from underneath, while lying on my back. The two steering rack mounting bolts are attached with considerable torque, so I needed my impact driver to get them loose.

I like to keep all of the removed parts neatly organized on the garage floor for ease of re-installation

With the transmission removed, the torque converter can easily be replaced. There are videos available on Youtube that will show how to get the new torque converter installed properly.

These photos show what the transmission looks like when you remove the case bolts, and separate the case halves. The filter is attached directly to the fluid pump, and the pump and filter must be removed together. The pump is easily removed by removing three mounting bolts. The pump is mounted over the top of the sprocket and chain that drive it. When re-installing the pump and filter, be careful to not let the drive chain slip off of the sprocket. I made this mistake, and it cost me another removal and replacement of the transmission in the car!

When reassembling the case halves, make sure that the teeth of the ring gear (the unit right next to the pump in the photo) mesh with the teeth of the planetary gear hub (in the opposite case half). When these teeth mesh, the case halves will fit together easily with no gap in the mating surfaces. If the case halves are not fitting together, do not torque the bolts down. I learned this the hard way. I broke the planetary gear hub, and it cost me $40 and two days waiting for the new part

When installing the subframe back into the car, I simply used two floor jacks to support it, and raised it up into place. Remember to get the control arm ball joint studs in place, as you install the subframe...if you removed them the way I did

I've put about 1,000 miles on the new torque converter and filter without a single shudder, and it runs smoother and quieter than before. I did it, and so can you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Nice job!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Thanks a bunch for this write up! Will help anyone else planning on pulling the trans out!

Sam

2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
2014 Ford Focus Electric
Moved On:
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Great write up. Made it a sticky
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

This topic doesn't seem to come up much if at all... votes for de-stickifying it? Can be housed neatly in the Topic Finder.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Well Done. Thanks for sharing.

Spock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page