Fog lamps? - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 50016
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2011 SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
walbern1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Strictly decoration, they do not put out any usable light. I don't think the new cars are available with fog lights at all. The round roof years (2009,2010?) seem to have had them but not us.
walbern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

They are NOT fog lamps, and there are not fog lamps on the 2010-12 Tauruses. The LED strip lights are more of courtesy running lamp. However, remember the original intent of fog lamps was to make you more visible to other traffic, not necessarily increase your visibility. So in that respect you could call the LED strip lights "fog lamps". But you could not drive by them, they do not emit enough light to illuminate the road.
Lastly, the JC Whitney link that shows what are supposed to be fog lamps would not fit in the openings correctly and the projector housings shown look like they are replacements for the headlamp projector housings.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
mjhpadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbern1 View Post
Strictly decoration, they do not put out any usable light. I don't think the new cars are available with fog lights at all. The round roof years (2009,2010?) seem to have had them but not us.
I would call this an accurate description of the strip lights. However, 2010 did not have fog lamps. FYI, I just checked the owner's manual and the LED strip lights are called: Supplemental Park Lamps.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 19016
bighank has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 2008 TREX came with stock fog lamps

The Taurus X has stock round fog lamps at the bottom of the bumper.
Operate with parking or low beams by pulling the light switch toward you after you turn it to the parking light or headlight position.
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 50963
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 Taurus SEL Windveil blue
Markcuda is on a distinguished road
Smile

I wonder if ths guy likes his lights?
Fog lights?
Leather intirior
3.0 Vulcan motor
WeatherTech side
window deflectors.
www.Markcuda.com
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank View Post
The Taurus X has stock round fog lamps at the bottom of the bumper.
Operate with parking or low beams by pulling the light switch toward you after you turn it to the parking light or headlight position.
That's also how the fog lamps worked on my 98 F-150 and 07 Lincoln Mark LT. However, on the new Tauruses there are no way turn the Supplemental Park Lights on or off, I believe they come on when the headlights are on. Never really looked to see if they are on with just the parking lights.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Midwest Chapter Mod

Member Number: 43942
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO, 402B pkg, modified.
bpd1151 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bpd1151 Send a message via Skype™ to bpd1151

As Mark has stated......

There are NOT any "fog lamps" on production model Taurii from 2010 and beyond.

Those nifty lil horizontally placed LED strips are simply outboard running/courtesy/marker lamps intended to aid in vehicle visibilty from other driver's perspectives.

The link provided in post #2 of this thread is an identification error on that vendor's behalf and appears to be the actual headlight projector housing only.

Fail.

There has been discussion of why FMC has chosen not to incorporate actual fog light assemblies on the 6th Gen's....

Me personally though? I'm about 50/50 on 'em. Wouldn't care either way really.

2010 SHO (#690 of 1,064) WORLD's HIGHEST Horsepower Ecoboost SHO!! 617AWHP 608AWTQ! Mod's here: http://www.hkmediachicago.com/#!sponsored/cnos

Car Of The Month: January 2013
Car Of The Year: 2013
bpd1151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd1151 View Post
There has been discussion of why FMC has chosen not to incorporate actual fog light assemblies on the 6th Gen's....
They've probably figured out that the vast majority of people who want fog lights almost exclusively intend to use them as "bling"—AKA an extra factory-provided place to display (but not actually use) an HID bulb. Those that don't have the resources to do an HID swap just decide to keep the factory fog lights on anyway for that little bit of extra "look at me" factor, even though the skys are clear and visibility is slightly worse than unlimited.

At the same time, the number of people who want fog lights for the absurd purpose of seeing in the fog seems much more limited these days, perhaps due to ignorance. "Oh, I didn't know I could turn my fog lights on in fog so I can see better!"

Having LED strips accomplishes the hot marketing goals of "bling" and "look at me" factor much more cheaply (and arguably more effectively) than an actual headlight housing that must be designed to hold a bulb and to aim the light in a specific pattern just so the driver can see better in some insignificant ground cloud condition.

Meanwhile, to make up for the loss the engineers are busy working on a long-range collision avoidance and vehicle guidance system that works in adverse visibility conditions such as dense fog! "For $2000 buyers are getting a great value with enhanced safety."

Just wait, in ten years actual working fog lights will be the next big thing in automotive marketing! "Wow, now I can actually see what I'm about to hit in the fog before I hit it! Before I only got an alert about it, this is way cooler!"

Corporate-driven technological progress is great isn't it?
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Member Number: 32683
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2000 Model SE, [Engineless]
Roach has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhpadi View Post
I would call this an accurate description of the strip lights.
Something different comes to mind when I hear "strip lights".

They are DRL's at the most.

____1996 Thunderbird LX "Jade Phoenix"
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Something different comes to mind when I hear "strip lights".

They are DRL's at the most.
The problem is that these do not function as DRL's since they are only on when the headlights are also on. Really like BPD, I'm about 50/50 on the Supplemental Park Lights...they look OK, but they really serve no useful purpose other then looking OK....the only thing they do provide is better visibility of your vehicle to oncoming traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement