Just Got a 2005 Taurus From Michigan! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51383
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6, 87kmiles Blue (or blueeyblue as my son calls i
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
smokertaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Got a 2005 Taurus From Michigan!

Hi everyone, I had to signup - I was reading around the forum and this is just about the nicest car forum I have signed up for; everyone seems real friendly - a refreshing change.

So I just got a 2005 Taurus SE from a guy here in California with 87k on it. It was his Moms car who lived in Michigan who passed away and he drove it from Michigan to California.

Before she passed away, the transmission was replaced by Ford on it at 83kmiles ($3k) and I got the car for $4k. There are not a lot of domestics around here (we have a subaru (mine), honda oddysey (wifes), and saturn babysitter drives it - nightmare) but I just could not resist the deal.

I figured the weakness in these is the transmission and the rest is okay!? I do know about tie rods ball joints, water leaking under passenger carpet (mine has that).

But now for the grief..everyone in my family (wife, father, brother, friends) is saying what a terrible buy these are and they are "old peoples cars" and give me the "you bought what!?" response..

So I am a bit down about it. Maybe I was too practical? I just figured why spend a ton of money on something when mechanically this one seems like a deal especially when I know how to work on cars - so why spend a lot for "something reliable" when I can fix most stuff myself.

I do have a '01 subaru wagon with 90k on it I just love but it has been a bit of a headache (brakes again and again, tire wear, and now I have a bad tie-rod and leaking cylinder heads, another known problem on these). It would have cost $3000 to have a shop fix the heads and I figured it was better to just put that money to another car and try and fix the subie when I have time or sell it?

So what's your logic. Keep your cars as new as possible or have a few older cars lying around so you can keep them running without new car expense?

On a positive note, I love the V6 and my 4 year old son calls it "smoker' (hence my name) because my wife thought it smelled like smoke inside (I don't smell it). He loves this car - it's his favorite.

I also wanted to thank Dschinghis Kahn for a post written about 'enjoying what you have' and not 'keeping up with the joneses' it made me go back to my original logic for not spending big $$$$ on any car and the Taurus does fit that which I think makes it a smart move if I can get over the comments and maybe the fuel economy on these..

smokertayrys
smokertaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I think these cars really are not junkers. The Duratec DOHC motor has an extremely low catastrophic failure rate, and will go forever if taken care of.

Automatic transmissions are a weak point in most cars, but this one is no exception. Most will go at least 150k, longer if taken care of. Make sure to change the trans fluid and filter every 30k miles!

The vulcan OHV motor usually will last a long time with proper cooling system maintenance. In my opinion you should be doing a coolant change and flush along with a heater core flush every year or 15k miles whichever comes first.

You got a really great deal! That car will last you with few problems (especially if you have the duratec motor), as long as you do the required maintenance!

What motor do you have? Vulcan OHV (Vin U) or Duratec DOHC (Vin S).

In my honest opinion, I think if you have a working car that you use, keep going until there is a true reason it must be replaced (rust, crashed, etc).

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 32379
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2002 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
JIMMER will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Taurus nation. I'm sure you will grow to love your car more and more every day, as most of us have. And for those people that say it's an old person's car, well, old people usually don't have a lot of money, so they need something reliable. They also want something comfortable. Elderly people tend to possess more wisdom, and if their wisdom draws them to the Taurus, then, to me, that is a good indicator of a good car.

2002 TAURUS SE - 3.0L VULCAN - 5 SPEED
TORONTO, ONTARIO.

Ride of the Month - Sept. 2011 - coolfords.com
Ride of the Quarter - 1st Quarter 2012 - teamtos.ca
Car of the Month - July 2012 - TCCA
Car of the Year - 2012 - TCCA

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nbtyJTC9QU
JIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Welcome! We take pride in having a friendly forum, we are nothing like those Honda/VW forums.

Wet passenger floor is usually because of water getting in through the cabin air filter. Simple fix is to install the rain-hat extension. Check to see if yours has it first, and if it doesn't, go pick one up at a junkyard. Don't pay Ford $35 for a new one, its just a piece of plastic. It's under the passenger cowl.

Having a new transmission is a definite plus, and with regular maintenance you should find the car is a reliable, comfortable and practical ride. Good buy for sure!

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats and welcome!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Moderpony

Member Number: 7950
Drives: 2004 Taurus SES, pulled around by a vulcan
Dschinghis Kahn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokertaurus View Post
Hi everyone, I had to signup - I was reading around the forum and this is just about the nicest car forum I have signed up for; everyone seems real friendly - a refreshing change.

So I just got a 2005 Taurus SE from a guy here in California with 87k on it. It was his Moms car who lived in Michigan who passed away and he drove it from Michigan to California.

Before she passed away, the transmission was replaced by Ford on it at 83kmiles ($3k) and I got the car for $4k. There are not a lot of domestics around here (we have a subaru (mine), honda oddysey (wifes), and saturn babysitter drives it - nightmare) but I just could not resist the deal.

I figured the weakness in these is the transmission and the rest is okay!? I do know about tie rods ball joints, water leaking under passenger carpet (mine has that).

But now for the grief..everyone in my family (wife, father, brother, friends) is saying what a terrible buy these are and they are "old peoples cars" and give me the "you bought what!?" response..

So I am a bit down about it. Maybe I was too practical? I just figured why spend a ton of money on something when mechanically this one seems like a deal especially when I know how to work on cars - so why spend a lot for "something reliable" when I can fix most stuff myself.

I do have a '01 subaru wagon with 90k on it I just love but it has been a bit of a headache (brakes again and again, tire wear, and now I have a bad tie-rod and leaking cylinder heads, another known problem on these). It would have cost $3000 to have a shop fix the heads and I figured it was better to just put that money to another car and try and fix the subie when I have time or sell it?

So what's your logic. Keep your cars as new as possible or have a few older cars lying around so you can keep them running without new car expense?

On a positive note, I love the V6 and my 4 year old son calls it "smoker' (hence my name) because my wife thought it smelled like smoke inside (I don't smell it). He loves this car - it's his favorite.

I also wanted to thank Dschinghis Kahn for a post written about 'enjoying what you have' and not 'keeping up with the joneses' it made me go back to my original logic for not spending big $$$$ on any car and the Taurus does fit that which I think makes it a smart move if I can get over the comments and maybe the fuel economy on these..

smokertayrys

You are most certainly welcome. Congrats on your purchase (we like pictures by the way)!

Like others said, keep up on the maintenance and it should be pretty darn reliable (I'm at 135k with only a new alternator and sway bar endlinks). The stigma, though probably not as strong in my neck of the woods, is just something you'll have to learn to ignore. On the bright side, it keeps prices low.

Dschinghis Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 50903
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2004 Taurus Wagon SEL 24V
aaroncgi is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, smokertaurus! I had the same thoughts as you about this forum before and since I joined up - just one of the nicest anywhere.

I don't know about Tauruses being old people cars. I always thought those were Buicks. The first car my brother purchased, right out of college, was a '94 Taurus. I have nothing but good memories of that car, and they have come a ways since then.

It's a similar situation around here, with not a lot of friends and family driving domestics (though more than say, 15 years ago). For me, the value in the Taurus was just too good to pass up. Sure, I could have gotten another car that got a few MPG better economy or maybe was a hair more reliable (though everyone says the Taurus is quite good itself). But to do so, I would have been spending many thousands more (or 50-100% greater price) on a smaller car, with less power, fewer amenities, and less comfort. I believe in keeping my cars as long as possible. So I want to have something I enjoy, that fits my needs, and don't really pay any mind to what other people think.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
I think everyone should have your attitude!

I always thought the Taurus/Sable was an old man car until I got my 2000 LS Premium with 130k miles for only $1000. Killer deal.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 45573
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1992 Ford Taurus L 3.0L 74K
Spaceman1200 has a spectacular aura about

Don't let those people turn you away from the Taurus! I have a '92 base model and it still nice 'n comfy! Been a great car!
Spaceman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Member Number: 32683
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2000 Model SE, [Engineless]
Roach has a spectacular aura about

My baby went on 168k+ on the same motor/trans. It's pretty much a 50/50 chance I've noticed for those "failures". I blame lack of maintenance for one though. I have seen 200k+ a few times on the same trans in both Vulcans and Duratecs.

What you should do, is forget about what everyone says about your Taurus. Take a good hard look at it, and make a mental checklist of everything you like or hate about the car. I'll never buy anything or shy away from something because of what someone else thinks. After doing this, you may end up loving the car, or selling it.

Happy motoring.

____1996 Thunderbird LX "Jade Phoenix"
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement