Sousa632's 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
That's the one thing that sucks about buying used from a dealer...... they clean it and make it smell nice when you look at it, but when that wears off it's days later and the truth comes out. It's not terrible, but it's slightly noticeable. I'm going to clean everything I can get my hands on and see if I need to get a little more aggressive. I have a Little Green Machine if need be. My wagon STUNK of cigarette smoke when we bought it, but I was able to get the smell out quickly........ just need the weather to cooperate on the weekend when I actually have time to do things other than work.

John

2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec 192K miles and kicking
2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
^ At least it doesn't smell like "Property of Enterprise Rent-a-Car."

I swear those cars all smell the same...
sousa632 likes this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Taurus is gone, but not forgotten.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
At least it doesn't smell like "Property of Enterprise Rent-a-Car.".
I've exchanged "non-smoking" rental cars before because they reeked of cigarette smoke.

Wagons are the Best at Hauling Ass!

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L Duratec V-6
2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 I-4
2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L V-6
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L V-8
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5 I-4

Gone, but not Forgotten:
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7L
1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, Alpine Pkg
1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 2.2L
1988 Mazda 323GT, 1.6L DOHC intercooled turbo
1980 Plymouth Champ, 1.6L
1970 Mercury Marquis, 429 gas sucking cubic inches
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

It's slightly noticeable but not terrible so it's something I'm sure I can get out.

Today I did a thorough cleaning on the inside, despite the crappy weather. I replaced the cabin air filter which looked like it was not replaced since new....

I then started getting a good clean on all the plastic surfaces on the inside. The trim pieces around the drivers side had the typical smokers yellow crap. I made sure to clean around the door channel where you would be ashing out a cracked window so it's all nice and clean now. The windows were pretty clean, but I will do them again soon just to try and get any residual. I have to get at some of the more stubborn areas by the driver that look like Cig stains. I'll use my Blue Coral upholstry cleaner and see how that wonks. I eventually want to clean the seats, however I'm not going to do that till it warms up so it will actually dry, not freeze.

Which lead me to another thing that's been bugging me. When I bought it, I saw it but thought it was just something on the outside of the radio from cleaning.

Turns out that it's between the LCD and the clear cover. How that happens I have not a damn clue but I had to tear the dash and the radio apart to get at it. Here's what I had to do:

Tear the center dash control panel off, which I had to remove 2 parts of the console along with it.

Then take the 2 side screws on the radio off, unclip the face from the radio and remove the ribbon cable

Remove the 4 screws on the back to remove the LCD and clean it all

Before and after. The Mrs. will be happy

Now.......... there are 2 things that piss me off.... First and foremost that I did not notice was they did not put rear floor mats back in the car and the passenger mat has a paint stain on one corner. Of course when you look at the car and make the deal they NEVER have the floormats in the car, so I thought nothing of it when I picked it up and saw the drivers and passengers mats in it. What pisses me off more about it is where the paint stain is on the corner of the passenger side they moved the seat up enough to cover it.... That's one thing I'm going to be complaining about. But even more than that and I'm REALLY pissed about is they didn't change the damn oil. They put new tires on the car, but don't change the oil? I'll be making them change the oil at no cost to me cause that's ridiculous. I need to keep telling myself that it is, afterall a $10k, 3 year old car with 71K miles on it so it's not going to be perfect........... but it should be damn near

EDIT: I just found a complete set of OE Mats for $45 so it's not going to cost that much to replace. Still pissed though.

I'll get pics of the car that are not dealer stock, when the weather cooperates enough to not be raining or snowing.

John

2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Last edited by sousa632; 12-17-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Devoted Member

Ahh, the joys of the "discovery" phase of a "new" used car. There's always a couple little things that you miss. You tend to be more upset with yourself that you missed them, than anyone else. With our Camry, it was the paint on the left rear quarter panel didn't match. Somebody had a minor accident (clean Carfax, though). That's the peril of looking at a car on a cloudy day or at night. On a sunny day, I can see it. After a while, you get over it.

Wagons are the Best at Hauling Ass!

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L Duratec V-6
2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 I-4
2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L V-6
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L V-8
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5 I-4

Gone, but not Forgotten:
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7L
1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, Alpine Pkg
1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 2.2L
1988 Mazda 323GT, 1.6L DOHC intercooled turbo
1980 Plymouth Champ, 1.6L
1970 Mercury Marquis, 429 gas sucking cubic inches
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Heck, the "discovery" phase on a new car.

I spend a minimum of a half hour when I do new car delivery just inspecting. And that was after my salesman claimed to have spent an hour cleaning up every smudge himself.

"Come on, you gotta be kidding me!"

Of course, I still missed a major defect in the paint, unless it formed quite a while after purchase. Entire car got repainted anyway.

thefranchise713

My Taurus is gone, but not forgotten.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

My wife does the aesthetic inspection on our used car buys. I do the mechanical stuff. When we recently picked up a our new certified car the dealer asked her if she wanted to inspect the lease return cars. She picked out every flaw, inside and out

That stuff behind the display on the entertainment center is from them spraying cleaner into the CD player. It may have been sticking.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Feelin Grumpier Every Day

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2003

I didn't even notice my car didn't have floor mats until the next day after purchase.

I'm great at finding issues with cars unless I'm looking for myself, then I'll miss stuff.
sousa632 likes this.

Bradley.
Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio system, other enhancements. April '14 COTM winner.

See more details

What's next, 'the eyes that rolled at my massive ego'?
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
I didn't even notice my car didn't have floor mats until the next day after purchase.

I'm great at finding issues with cars unless I'm looking for myself, then I'll miss stuff.
That's how I am... I didn't notice there were no rear mats till yesterday. I signed the deal last Saturday and took delivery on Monday. I can point out a million things with someone elses cars but when it comes to mine, I miss things and come back around to it down the road when I spend more time examining it.

Today the car smells less on the inside after cleaning it up yesterday. The mats are cheap to get an OE set so I'm a little less pissed than I was yesterday. The oil still really drives me batty. I did notice that at some time the front bumper was repainted as well. It's not noticable unless you get REALLY close(like get on your knees and look 2ft away). The color is a perfect match but there's a spot that you can tell it was a re-spray. Not reported to Carfax cause it's a clean title one owner car. That doesn't really bother me that much though cause everything else looks pristine.

All in all I still think that I got a decent deal looking at the cars available at local dealers. I was even looking at Camrys but they were thousands more than I paid for this and I wasn't all that impressed. I was looking for a Gen6 bull but the picking were VERY slim sadly...... Either way, the Mrs likes the car and is happy. I like the car too so I can't complain, other than being jealous that she has all the trinkets in her car.

John

2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Last edited by sousa632; 12-18-2016 at 06:41 PM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

This is a situation that is not a situation. I have bought a few used cars that belonged to smokers, and I smoked in MY wagon the first twelve years I owned it. NBD. Buy a bag of Eight O'Clock whole bean coffee, and get some fresh vanilla bean pods from eBay - they are dirt-cheap.

Use two baking trays and grind the coffee beans...cut the vanilla bean pods as you would do with string beans. Split the coffee and vanilla between both trays, and place one tray beneath each front seat in your distressingly-smelly car that is making you want to seek out a safe space and play with stuffed animals or whatever. Then, use some Windex and wash the inside door frames where the nasty smoke normally vents out through the windows.

Repeat the coffee-and-vanilla routine after a week if the car hasn't been thoroughly rid of the cigarette smell.

Me...I quit smoking in 2007, and correctly deduced that the smell would disappear eventually. I used the above method for getting rid of that God-awful patchouli oil smell and the pot smell in the V6 Tempo I bought for my finicky second son about ten years ago.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

Last edited by Lgbpop; 12-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page