Sousa632's 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Well today we finalized the deal on my lunch break (and I got another grand off the car, which slightly lowered the monthly payment and shortened the term by 6 months ) so I left my truck there and took the new car. Then after dinner went back and picked up the truck.

It rides even nicer on the highway than it does on local roads. It's effortless. Electric PS I guess helps that. It's not fully loaded, but it's loaded enough to feel like I have something "of the times" now. It has Bluetooth(which was nice on the ride home), Satellite radio, heated mirrors, auto-dim rearview with Homelink and Hyundai's roadside assistant, auto-stick, traction control, ABS, stability control. Even with everyone in the car it got up to highway speeds in a hurry. When driving home myself, I was on the highway doing 85 not realizing I was doing it till I looked down. It's SOO quiet inside. I'm used to the echoing boxes that it's almost too quiet, but that's where the Bluetooth came handy to get some tunes going.

On the way home from getting my truck my wife drove the car. She really likes it, but it will take some time to get used to. I guess that's what happens when you get something new when you are so used to old cars with high miles. Either way, I told her that I can't wait till she wants something else so I can have that car. Tomorrow..... I start driving the wagon again We are going to evaluate how much it's going to cost in insurance with 3 cars then make a judgment call as to what we are going to do with the truck. If it's cheap enough I may keep the truck as a spare/family outing/snow vehicle. If it's too expensive, the truck will get sold and the money will be put away for car payments. That's all to be decided, but in the meantime I need to clean that car better cause they did a ****ty job at cleaning the windows and they fogged right up. I think tomorrow my wife's going to clean the car.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 193K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Well today we finalized the deal on my lunch break (and I got another grand off the car, which slightly lowered the monthly payment and shortened the term by 6 months ) so I left my truck there and took the new car. Then after dinner went back and picked up the truck.

It rides even nicer on the highway than it does on local roads. It's effortless. Electric PS I guess helps that. It's not fully loaded, but it's loaded enough to feel like I have something "of the times" now. It has Bluetooth(which was nice on the ride home), Satellite radio, heated mirrors, auto-dim rearview with Homelink and Hyundai's roadside assistant, auto-stick, traction control, ABS, stability control. Even with everyone in the car it got up to highway speeds in a hurry. When driving home myself, I was on the highway doing 85 not realizing I was doing it till I looked down. It's SOO quiet inside. I'm used to the echoing boxes that it's almost too quiet, but that's where the Bluetooth came handy to get some tunes going.

On the way home from getting my truck my wife drove the car. She really likes it, but it will take some time to get used to. I guess that's what happens when you get something new when you are so used to old cars with high miles. Either way, I told her that I can't wait till she wants something else so I can have that car. Tomorrow..... I start driving the wagon again We are going to evaluate how much it's going to cost in insurance with 3 cars then make a judgment call as to what we are going to do with the truck. If it's cheap enough I may keep the truck as a spare/family outing/snow vehicle. If it's too expensive, the truck will get sold and the money will be put away for car payments. That's all to be decided, but in the meantime I need to clean that car better cause they did a ****ty job at cleaning the windows and they fogged right up. I think tomorrow my wife's going to clean the car.
Lots of people here are seasonal with vehicles, or go south for winter. They can leave the plates with DMV and cancel or reduce insurance for the season. Retrieve the plates for $10 after re-doing the insurance. Might works for spare vehicle.

-chart-
sousa632 likes this.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
I'd get the cheapest liability ins. allowed by law on the truck, lol.
sousa632 likes this.

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

I'm not 100% sure what the fate of the truck is, whether I'm just going to do the repairs while I'm driving the wagon and keep it as the family hauler/beater or sell it off. My brother expressed interest in buying it so I could sell it off quick if it ever came down to it.

Either way I've been driving the new car to/from work and I swear the gas gauge barely moved at all... I'm used to putting in $20 and 2 days later having to put in another $20. The miles to empty went down by 15 miles though I've driven it about 50 miles already. My wife emptied out the wagon today so that's my DD come tomorrow and the new car is hers. I really don't want to rack up a crap ton of miles on that car for work.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 193K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Congrats! Everybody is buying non American cars lately lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Lots of people here are seasonal with vehicles, or go south for winter. They can leave the plates with DMV and cancel or reduce insurance for the season. Retrieve the plates for $10 after re-doing the insurance. Might works for spare vehicle.

-chart-
My Titan is set up as an occasional use vehicle since I only drive it about 1000-1500 miles per year (for hauling stuff, or deep snow). If you have more cars than drivers, you can do that. Much cheaper insurance that way.

Wagons are the Best at Hauling Ass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L Duratec V-6
2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 I-4
2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L V-6
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L V-8
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5 I-4

Gone, but not Forgotten:
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7L
1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, Alpine Pkg
1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 2.2L
1988 Mazda 323GT, 1.6L DOHC intercooled turbo
1980 Plymouth Champ, 1.6L
1970 Mercury Marquis, 429 gas sucking cubic inches
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

It's funny because I got the coverages statement today...... for the 3 year old Hyundai with full coverage, I'm only paying $300/year more than I am for the 15 year old, 192K mile wagon with liability only.
Either way, I swapped cars with my wife today so the wagon is now my DD and the Hyundai is hers. She likes the car but it'll take a little getting used to being that this is our first 'new' car in 10 years. She'll get used to it quickly though.

John
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
I'll Be Watching You!

Well now that the 'clean' has washed out of it I can tell it was a smokers car. BLEH! So tomorrow if the weather cooperates I'm going to do a thorough cleaning on the inside and replace the cabin filter. I'd really like to also give it a thorough once over......... just because...

John
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I didn't notice my one 2001 was a smoker's that I bought for my daughter to use five years ago. The new smell wore off and I could tell then. I steam vacuumed the whole interior and even head liner. Used a small plumber's snake with a rag and cleaner to clean the inside of the vent plumbing. Also washed the visors with detergent. They are close to the smoke. I ozoned the interior for days with an ozone machine. I also used a evaporator foaming cleaner by removing the fan motor and spraying it at it. It dripped off and ran out the condensate drain.

New interiors are harder to clean than the old tough Taurus so be careful.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
Well now that the 'clean' has washed out of it I can tell it was a smokers car. BLEH! So tomorrow if the weather cooperates I'm going to do a thorough cleaning on the inside and replace the cabin filter. I'd really like to also give it a thorough once over......... just because...
With most used cars, they've "deodorized" things so much, it's sometimes hard to tell until the perfumes wear off. Tobacco smoke residue is a hard thing to remove since it permeates everything. Clean every piece of the interior you can reach.

The previous owner of my daughter's Mazda 6 had some of the Frebreze clip on air fresheners on the dash vents. 5 months later, I can still smell them when I get in the car. I though that would have worn off by now.

Wagons are the Best at Hauling Ass!

2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L Duratec V-6
2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 I-4
2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L V-6
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L V-8
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5 I-4

Gone, but not Forgotten:
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4x4, 4.7L
1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, Alpine Pkg
1990 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 2.2L
1988 Mazda 323GT, 1.6L DOHC intercooled turbo
1980 Plymouth Champ, 1.6L
1970 Mercury Marquis, 429 gas sucking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page