thefranchise713's 2017 Explorer Limited 2.3 AWD - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
thefranchise713's 2017 Explorer Limited 2.3 AWD

With the Taurus gone and soon to celebrate and serve a new owner, I've moved into my new mistress, "Natasha," my 2017 Explorer Limited 301A 2.3L AWD. Options: adaptive cruise/collision warning, panoramic sunroof, optional polished aluminium 20" wheels.

It's been a busy few days. It's already got 450 some miles on it since I picked it up Tuesday. So far, I've put some LED's into the front signals with more coming this weekend, and I've installed both a front and rear dashcam setup with Power Magic Pro battery/low voltage protection.

LEDs:

Video:

http://vid266.photobucket.com/albums...ps1ulfvzhb.mp4

Dashcam Setup:

Front camera

Rear Camera Mount

Power Magic Pro
sheila, sousa632 and Exocet like this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 AM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Congrats on the new ride Alex!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Thanks, Mark.

I was very fortunate to be able to land this at a particularly odd time of my life to get it, too. But the deal was beyond good... I never did get to celebrate passing the bar and graduating from law school, so this was my indulgence. Not my most responsible purchase, but hey, when it can be made without impacting the rest of your life and all your other obligations are fulfilled... gotta buy a toy once in a while.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Congrats Alex! You have to spoil yourself when you can It's definitely sharp.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Indeed! As much as I love the LED look I reverted all the lights to stock incandescent today. My rear LEDs came with plug and play resistors... I ran the 4 ways for a bit and it got way hotter than I was comfortable with. So I got rid of those, and removed the fronts as well to kill the hyperflash.

thefranchise713

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

I have over 5,000 miles on the car now, and running 24-25 MPG per tank consistently. I am in love with the efficiency of the 2.3L EcoBoost platform and don't regret it a bit.

As for updates:

-I had a bad rattle at 2700 RPM--repaired thanks to a technician who is extremely talented.
-Part of my dash cam setup failed. My Power Magic Pro's switched power link failed at the Add-a-Fuse/Circuit component. Sad thing is, instead of blowing the fuse, the entire piece went down--both circuits on the component. Dash cam went down along with the RCM that was also fused with its own link.
-Front and rear turn signals are replaced with LEDs. There is no internal or external hyperflash as the BCM has been reprogrammed to ignore the "bulb out" warning--no crappy resistors required. Don't tell NHTSA. Thanks to @jmr061.
-When the key fob leaves the vehicle, the system no longer honks. Thank you, @jmr061, again!

For the camera, my friends at The Dashcam Store (shoutout!) are sending me a new fuse tap, gratis. I am still confused and shocked at it failing, but for a component that is fairly inexpensive out of the box, it is bound to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5795.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	180146  

thefranchise713

Last edited by thefranchise713; 08-22-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

8,000 miles update.

The car had its first oil change next week, everything came up clean.

It also came back from it's nearly full body repaint. Yes, Ford repainted the entire car to the tune of over 5,000. They found chemical pops in the paint, and screwed around for a week wasting time on acid washes and other nonsense before issuing an approval for the entire car. It came out great and is getting detailed next Saturday.

In addition, I got my snow tires and wheels for it as well, and they look great. I'll post up some pics when they go on in November.

Right now I'm averaging between 23-25 MPG, depending on who you trust (Fuelly vs. the Explorer.) For an AWD overweight SUV in bad need of a diet, I'll take that. It it soaking up my commute incredibly well at 50 miles per day.

thefranchise713

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Detailed yesterday. Quite happy with the results:

sheila and Josh like this.

thefranchise713

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Winter ready.

thefranchise713

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

So is most of our vehicle menagerie, me not so much.
thefranchise713 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page