thefranchise713's 2017 Explorer Limited 2.3 AWD - Page 4 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Oil changed today, with my (independent) mechanic laughing at me about how expensive Motorcraft is compared to his standard oils and filters, which he stands behind.

Nevertheless he put in the oil I asked and filter. Oil came out really, really dark, but based on my past UOA experience it probably had more life to go anyway. It did nearly run 10k as it is.

He also got a laugh and noticed that I had clearly gone to a place specializing in quick maintenance services which may or may not have had blue oval branding.

Impact guns for the lose.

There is a vibration driving me crazy in the hatch area, I am going to pull off the panel tomorrow and hopefully not break it to trace it down. I already lubricated the latch mechanism. No luck. It really comes into play after driving for a good half hour or more when the engine is lugging at idle with a load. Otherwise, very noticeable and annoying over bumps, but I could have lived with it otherwise. OCD.

I'm less and less impressed with this car overtime, but I still enjoy it overall. But the little stuff is starting to annoy the piss out of me. The 2014 Taurus was more solid than the Explorer, which is interesting given how closely they're related and come out of the same plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	188825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	188833  

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.

Last edited by thefranchise713; 03-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

CAP's been going down hill from what I hear. Ford's looked at closing it.

Bradley.
Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio system, other enhancements. April '14 COTM winner.

See more details

What's next, 'the eyes that rolled at my massive ego'?
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Put 400 miles on it today, and pulled it up and down some steep grades. This powertrain is extremely competent.

Was hitting 25 with mixed traffic today, which I was pretty happy with. I started dipping back toward 23 though, unfortunately, when driving the Thruway back from Syracuse to Buffalo. The winds were picking up and temperatures were dropping, so I can't be angry about it. I was also speeding between 72-77....

If this car had just 2 extra gears, I'd be in heaven. And on top of that, for the 7 hours I put into the throttle today.... very minimal fatigue.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of the betterment of our neighborhoods.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable Wagon

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Still better than the numbers I've been seeing in my wagon I'm averaging 19 with about 60-70% highway driving.

John
2001 Sable LS Premium Wagon Duratec, 194K miles and kicking, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Put 400 miles on it today, and pulled it up and down some steep grades. This powertrain is extremely competent.

Was hitting 25 with mixed traffic today, which I was pretty happy with. I started dipping back toward 23 though, unfortunately, when driving the Thruway back from Syracuse to Buffalo. The winds were picking up and temperatures were dropping, so I can't be angry about it. I was also speeding between 72-77....

If this car had just 2 extra gears, I'd be in heaven. And on top of that, for the 7 hours I put into the throttle today.... very minimal fatigue.
Wind makes a huge difference, from my experience driving I-70 Columbus O to KC KS several trips in 3 different Lins. Pic my Cont on a 600+ day all kinds of interstate and hills/flatland. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Lexington. And I sat still for 10 minutes in stalled traffic and then another 10 moving up and down till it all cleared out. Speed, what the other traffic was doing. Just blending in. August day up to 95F.

And somewhat surprise, both my wagon and sedan, '03's DOHC, same trip down through PA mountains on cold no wind and I got 28.3 on the sedan, one mpg less in the wagon. So, no wind, little/no A/C load, just mountains.
And, in my many trips up 390 to Rochester, got the same mpg as in the flatlands here. My take, if you have adequate power, hills do not matter. I-390 a bit hilly.

On my many trips NY to KS = 1350 miles, I would get much better mpg early in the morning. 2 nights in motels, so heading out very early in the am, no wind, little A/C best mpg.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpgKY15.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	188954  
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Chart, what'd you do in KC KS?
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
And somewhat surprise, both my wagon and sedan, '03's DOHC, same trip down through PA mountains on cold no wind and I got 28.3 on the sedan, one mpg less in the wagon. So, no wind, little/no A/C load, just mountains.
And, in my many trips up 390 to Rochester, got the same mpg as in the flatlands here. My take, if you have adequate power, hills do not matter. I-390 a bit hilly.

On my many trips NY to KS = 1350 miles, I would get much better mpg early in the morning. 2 nights in motels, so heading out very early in the am, no wind, little A/C best mpg.

-chart-
You aren't kidding on 390. Not my favorite interstate, but not the worst. As it turned out we ended up heading further eastbound than we expected, deciding to pay a visit to Tompkins County and later Cortland Co. Ended up taking 81 back north to meet up with 90 to head back to Buffalo. 81 is always a speedway, and the 90 westbound from Syracuse into the Rochester metro is always a treat on the concrete. Car seems to encounter a precious little bit of rolling resistance on that route--seems a little more effort is necessary once you hit the asphalt past the Rochester metro toward Batavia and out to the Williamsville tolls.

thefranchise713

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page