Major restoration help needed, 1963 Ford Galaxie. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 52896
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1995 Taurus SE, 3.8V6, 2.5 inch one-off dual catback, "bigass" stereo
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
TheFurryCarGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Major restoration help needed, 1963 Ford Galaxie.

Okay, so as some of you have seen, I've been talking elsewhere about my 1963 Galaxie, and she needs help. I bought the car in September 2012 for a song, running and (yard)driving with no major rust.
Other than the frame.
Originally, the old owner (Who had 30+ Chevrolet muscecars, by the way, and wanted to keep the Galaxie more) was going to put patch panels in, but now that I've had professional welding friends look at it, the frame needs much more than that. Except... We don't know how much it needs.
To find out, I need to get the body off the car. That's a much bigger project than I had expected. I was planning on driving it this summer (Potentially all the way from CT to Florida) but I doubt it will even see the road till next spring now. My issue is this; I haven't the slightest idea of where to go now. I don't have a proper garage for getting the body off, and don't really know anybody that does. I don't want to send it to a shop, because that's not the point. I'm going to do all of this myself (Minus the major welding of course, that's a big deal) and I want a little more power over getting things done.
Anybody have possible input? I'd appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Major restoration help needed, 1963 Ford Galaxie.-img_1338-1-.jpg  
TheFurryCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Where in CT are you?

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

My Mom's Dad had a 63 Galaxie convertable back when she was a kid in Atlanta, GA. Saw some pix. Awesome car.

Do you have a garage?

Sounds like you need to separate the body from the frame. Work on one then move to the other. Remove the doors, hood, trunk lid, walk the front nose off of the car after all connections disconnected. With a few friends you should be able to lift the body up, push the frame out and set the bod on some kind of support setup.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgbpop View Post
Where in CT are you?
To put it simply, dead center!

The DD: 1995 Taurus SE, catback exhaust, custom stereo
The Projects: 1963 Galaxie 500, 352 V8, and a 1976 F250, 390/4speed + 12 inch lift and 38" tires, custom paint.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull geek View Post
My Mom's Dad had a 63 Galaxie convertable back when she was a kid in Atlanta, GA. Saw some pix. Awesome car.

Do you have a garage?

Sounds like you need to separate the body from the frame. Work on one then move to the other. Remove the doors, hood, trunk lid, walk the front nose off of the car after all connections disconnected. With a few friends you should be able to lift the body up, push the frame out and set the bod on some kind of support setup.
Yeah, I've got a garage, but it's a bit cramped (And might I add, borrowed space) so I don't really know if I could get it done in there. I kind of have to find a place, it would be even better if I had a lift I could use. It's just that.. Uhh, those sorts of things don't grow on trees, and I can't expect some stranger to open up shop for a handful of teenagers to work, lol

The Projects: 1963 Galaxie 500, 352 V8, and a 1976 F250, 390/4speed + 12 inch lift and 38" tires, custom paint.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

You're in Northeast USA...so many classics up there going to car shows and what not.

You should look around into renting out a garage or a shop that has some space. I know there are places around the US that do that. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks a month at minimum.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFurryCarGuy View Post
Okay, so as some of you have seen, I've been talking elsewhere about my 1963 Galaxie, and she needs help. I bought the car in September 2012 for a song, running and (yard)driving with no major rust.
Other than the frame.
Originally, the old owner (Who had 30+ Chevrolet muscecars, by the way, and wanted to keep the Galaxie more) was going to put patch panels in, but now that I've had professional welding friends look at it, the frame needs much more than that. Except... We don't know how much it needs.
To find out, I need to get the body off the car. That's a much bigger project than I had expected. I was planning on driving it this summer (Potentially all the way from CT to Florida) but I doubt it will even see the road till next spring now. My issue is this; I haven't the slightest idea of where to go now. I don't have a proper garage for getting the body off, and don't really know anybody that does. I don't want to send it to a shop, because that's not the point. I'm going to do all of this myself (Minus the major welding of course, that's a big deal) and I want a little more power over getting things done.
Anybody have possible input? I'd appreciate it.
Take the frame off and inspect it. If it is still straight and not distorted then send it off for sand blasting. Once the sand blasting is done, put the frame on a frame jig and start cutting the rot out. Then weld in the new steel. One you're done, you can paint it, send it off for galvanizing or professional painting.

You might get lucky and find a good used frame, that would save you some time.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW657 View Post
Take the frame off and inspect it. If it is still straight and not distorted then send it off for sand blasting. Once the sand blasting is done, put the frame on a frame jig and start cutting the rot out. Then weld in the new steel. One you're done, you can paint it, send it off for galvanizing or professional painting.

You might get lucky and find a good used frame, that would save you some time.
You know... I hadn't been thinking of finding a used frame. I just had a look and found a rust-free original for $600. Entirely doable. The car doesn't have to be #'s matching after all, since it's not going to be anything near factory original. Otherwise I think I might do what you and bull geek suggested, renting out a garage and having all of my buddies come in for a mad thrash to get it apart to do it proper. One of my friends went to school for automotive welding, so he'll do the frame for me for a little less than it would cost elsewhere. I want to figure something out though, I've got the itch for big rear wheel drive burnouts that the Tortoise can never truly satisfy

Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFurryCarGuy View Post
To put it simply, dead center!
Portland? Haddam? I didn't ask for jokes.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgbpop View Post
Portland? Haddam? I didn't ask for jokes.
Heh, East Haddam/East Hampton/Moodus/Colchester area. Because I'm in all of them on a weekly basis. Why do you ask? Know somebody up this way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.