Major restoration help needed, 1963 Ford Galaxie. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Lots of people, more or less. Livingston Alexander and his wife Jerusha in Foxtown Cemetery (East Haddam) are my 3G-uncle and aunt, and I still have cousins there. More cousins in Colchester, Montville, Norwich and Quaker Hill. My brother owns Fieldworks AG in Dartmouth MA and has a warehouse over in Voluntown, but he already told me what free space he had is all leased out already.

I agree with the others, you're way better off time- and money-wise to replace the frame rather than try to repair yours if it's really bad. Only time you really want to consider going that far is with one of the orphans from the '20s or '30s for which good frames are long extinct. No guarantee, but check any frame from the 1960-64 Galaxie series. They were all pretty much the same car although the sheet metal was reworked a few times.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.
Lgbpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member Number: 52896
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1995 Taurus SE, 3.8V6, 2.5 inch one-off dual catback, "bigass" stereo
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
TheFurryCarGuy is on a distinguished road

Hey, my Galaxie came from Voluntown! Was like an hour drive, I probably passed the shop.

And I think you're right. I spoke with my "enslaved help" about it and they agree that a new frame would be good. I'd probably powdercoat it and do all the suspension/brakes stuff right off the bat, then I could drop the body on the finished frame, and I could really finish the body off proper at the same time. Certainly wasn't expecting a frame-off resto for this car, hell, I was going to drive it exactly as is, until someone else looked at the frame.

The DD: 1995 Taurus SE, catback exhaust, custom stereo
The Projects: 1963 Galaxie 500, 352 V8, and a 1976 F250, 390/4speed + 12 inch lift and 38" tires, custom paint.
TheFurryCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement