97 Ford Ranger 3.0 OHV - TCC Solenoid problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ricer333's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8134
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, FL
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 868
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 97 Ford Ranger 3.0 OHV - TCC Solenoid problem

Getting a P1744 code thrown on my g/f's 97 Ford Ranger 2WD. Just trying to get an idea of how to replace the solenoid to see if that fixes the problem or if the transmission is in need of an overhaul.

Thanks!
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Member Number: 49973
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington st.
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 285
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
glock20man can only hope to improve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer333 View Post
Getting a P1744 code thrown on my g/f's 97 Ford Ranger 2WD. Just trying to get an idea of how to replace the solenoid to see if that fixes the problem or if the transmission is in need of an overhaul.

Thanks!
do you have a dragging and or whinning sound when driving?
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ricer333's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8134
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, FL
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 868
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20man View Post
do you have a dragging and or whinning sound when driving?
I haven't driven it yet. All I know is that the g/f was mentioning that it was 'bucking' the other day. I'm not sure at what speeds.

If I go to check for a whining/dragging sound while driving, what speeds should I be listening to?

I can also try to get some of these sounds on video and upload to YouTube and post a link.

Just let me know what type of test I should be doing and I'll get it on video.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
danhasenauer's Avatar
 
Member Number: 12182
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,421
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 22
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about
Default

If it's bucking on deceleration, the TCC solenoid is not releasing when it should, a common failure with age. You can unplug it and drive around (no OD, that's all) to see if the problem goes away.
__________________

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ricer333's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8134
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, FL
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 868
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
If it's bucking on deceleration, the TCC solenoid is not releasing when it should, a common failure with age. You can unplug it and drive around (no OD, that's all) to see if the problem goes away.
Thank you for this. Any insight to what I have to unplug? Any pics you can share to help me out in this venture?

By unplugging the TCC Solenoid, OD is not available by that's all? If the problem does go away, does that point to a bad solenoid, torque converter, or both? Any way to rule one out? Thanks so far, the TCCA forum has offered more knowledge quicker than others out there! I knew I could count on you all.
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member
 
danhasenauer's Avatar
 
Member Number: 12182
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: a Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 2,421
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 22
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about
Default

Not sure about a Ranger, but on a Taurus it is right on the transaxle case. With it unplugged, there is no OD lockup available, that is all. Completely safe test to do, it points to a bad TCC solenoid needing replacement. A failing TCC solenoid will not let the trans downshift when it wants to on deceleration, kind of like pulling up to a stop in 5th gear with a standard trans, the vehicle can shudder, shake and even stall sometimes.
__________________

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012

Last edited by danhasenauer; 01-01-2013 at 12:00 PM.
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ricer333's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8134
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, FL
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 868
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
Not sure about a Ranger, but on a Taurus it is right on the transaxle case. With it unplugged, there is no OD lockup available, that is all. Completely safe test to do, it points to a bad TCC solenoid needing replacement. A failing TCC solenoid will not let the trans downshift when it wants to on deceleration, kind of like pulling up to a stop in 5th gear with a standard trans, the vehicle can shudder, shake and even stall sometimes.
I took the ol' Ranger out for a spin along with the g/f and a camera. We couldn't get it to replicate the bucking but there is a distinctive sound when the transmission is in R, D, D2, D1. I've recorded this from outside and under the hood and under the truck itself.

Also, another point, the g/f says that the bucking/clunking seemed to happen around the 1st/2nd gears on decel. Does this still sound like a TCC solenoid issue?

If you can help by watching the video and if you see the area that I should be looking for to pull the TCC solenoid, please point it out. Thanks!

Link: 1997 Ford Ranger Transmission Grinding Noise when in gear - YouTube
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Member Number: 49973
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington st.
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 285
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
glock20man can only hope to improve
Default

I watch the video and that doesn't sound to good, I think your torque converter is shot...I got the p1744 code on my car also, it doesn't sound as bad as yours. mine has like a growling/humming sound when driving, nothing at idle. A torque converter is not that expensive($200 or less) that's if you do the work yourself.......

Last edited by glock20man; 01-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ricer333's Avatar
 
Member Number: 8134
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, FL
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 868
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20man View Post
I watch the video and that doesn't sound to good, I think your torque converter is shot...I got the p1744 code on my car also, it doesn't sound as bad as yours. mine has like a growling/humming sound when driving, nothing at idle. A torque converter is not that expensive($200 or less) that's if you do the work yourself.......

I'm not too familiar with how Auto Transmissions work. Question I have is these:

1) Is there a procedure that someone can point me to on the R&R for a Torque Converter for this truck's transmission? According to RockAuto the transmission in this 3.0L OHV truck is the 4R44E.

2) The transmission right now is at 216,000+ miles. Is the torque converter worth the 'trial' at this point or are these type of things lost causes.

Thanks again all! I'm trying to get in touch with my local shadetree guy to get his thoughts as well. Between the two of us, and a good procedure, I'm hoping we could knock this out and breath a little life into the ol' boy.

Oh yeah, lastly, will driving around with this type of thing cause serious issues?

~matt

P.S. Happy New Year's all!
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Member Number: 49973
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington st.
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 285
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
glock20man can only hope to improve
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricer333 View Post
I'm not too familiar with how Auto Transmissions work. Question I have is these:

1) Is there a procedure that someone can point me to on the R&R for a Torque Converter for this truck's transmission? According to RockAuto the transmission in this 3.0L OHV truck is the 4R44E.

2) The transmission right now is at 216,000+ miles. Is the torque converter worth the 'trial' at this point or are these type of things lost causes.

Thanks again all! I'm trying to get in touch with my local shadetree guy to get his thoughts as well. Between the two of us, and a good procedure, I'm hoping we could knock this out and breath a little life into the ol' boy.

Oh yeah, lastly, will driving around with this type of thing cause serious issues?

~matt

P.S. Happy New Year's all!
well, I have been driving around in mine for a while and she still holding out...question 1. I guess you can get a repair manual or google it on the internet if your going to tackle it yourself. #2. you got a **** load of miles on the transmission, yor gonna have to drop the tranny anyway to replace the torque converter, might want to put a rebuilt transmission in or get one at a junkyard, it all depends on how much $$$ you got.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2