How many power receptacles in a Focus? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 26675
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
sbubandit has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default How many power receptacles in a Focus?

I rented a Ford Focus for an upcoming road trip. Trying to figure out if I can power both my radar detector and GPS or if I need a little 2-to-1 splitter. If someone can let me know how many plugs a Focus has that'd be great. Looking for info on both the up-to-2010 model, and the new model, since I have no idea which I'll be getting. Thanks.
sbubandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I know the 2008-2011 models have two up front. Not sure about the 2012+ models. They probably have two, but one might be inside the console.
behlinla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
I know the 2008-2011 models have two up front. Not sure about the 2012+ models. They probably have two, but one might be inside the console.
Thanks for the help. Sounds like I might not need the splitter, which would be good. The quality on those splitters is usually lacking. Guess I'll find out for sure tonight when I pick up the car. Hopefully its fairly new
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

For what its worth, the car I got was a 2012 Focus hatchback, and it had two plugs, one up front and one on the back of the console. Worked out fine, as both devices I used could have reached the back one.

For anyone considering a 2012 Focus, great little car, loved almost everything about it, except the Powershift Double Clutch 6-speed Automatic. That thing is junk. Makes it feel like you are driving stick...and you aren't very good at it. In first gear and in reverse it lurches and bucks like crazy and revs way too high, and once its in 6th, it won't come out to accelerate unless you punch your foot through the floorboard. Stuck in rush hour in Atlanta, the revving and lurching in stop and go traffic nearly made us sick.

Only other complaint with the car was the overly sensitive steering. Great in town, but too sensitive on the highway. Rarely do I need my car to make a 90 degree turn at 75 mph. On a long drive (I put 2767 miles on the Focus in 4 days) having to hold the wheel perfectly still the whole way wears on your shoulders and neck, and limits shifting your position for comfort at all. Even so, I would probably buy one so long as it didn't have the Powershift trans. After all, how often are you going to drive that far?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

The transmission is a common complaint. It's a rental so you don't know how it's been abused.

The electric power steering is also a love it or hate it thing. It has pull-drift compensation, which will "lean" the car has a pull and provide a constant torque to reduce the fatigue of the driver. However, it seems like this is also a crux because it makes the steering more difficult to overcome if you have to turn or creates an abrupt lane change when it "breaks" free. So it sounds like you were fighting it the whole way or else the car had some kind of alignment problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 47151
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2000 SEL
SloppyJalopey is on a distinguished road

The steering I have heard the same complaint, I have found that they are all like that because its a direct drive electric steering pump tuned for a "sporty" feeling. So as you turn the wheel 1mm It sends the signal to the pump.

2002 Ford Taurus LX - Trans Failure at 350 000 KM

2000 Ford Taurus SEL - DD 260 xxx KM
SloppyJalopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJalopey View Post
The steering I have heard the same complaint, I have found that they are all like that because its a direct drive electric steering pump tuned for a "sporty" feeling. So as you turn the wheel 1mm It sends the signal to the pump.
Just FYI there is no pump. It's a electric motor integrated into the steering rack.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
+1 with behlinla... I agree it's a love it or hate it. I personally love it.

I got used to it on my girlfriend Kia soul. I've had no problems with it. The way I understand it to work is it assists you a lot when you aren't moving and assists you less when you are moving (smart way to do it). That way you don't make 90 degree turns easily at 75mph!!! When you get going that fast it doesn't do much at all unless you try to turn really hard I'm sure. It's easy to move the wheel when you are moving anyways.

Anyways, if it is designed right, it works well. The electronic steering also give more HP to the motor. I love how I can turn with my pinky the entire stop to stop while sitting still no sweat. On my car I could probably do that but it would hurt by the end...

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 47151
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2000 SEL
SloppyJalopey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Just FYI there is no pump. It's a electric motor integrated into the steering rack.
Sorry im so used to saying pump, I meant MOTOR, thanks.

2002 Ford Taurus LX - Trans Failure at 350 000 KM

2000 Ford Taurus SEL - DD 260 xxx KM
SloppyJalopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ben
Hear that? That's 4 cams.

Member Number: 40467
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
^
+1 with behlinla... I agree it's a love it or hate it. I personally love it.

I got used to it on my girlfriend Kia soul. I've had no problems with it. The way I understand it to work is it assists you a lot when you aren't moving and assists you less when you are moving (smart way to do it). That way you don't make 90 degree turns easily at 75mph!!! When you get going that fast it doesn't do much at all unless you try to turn really hard I'm sure. It's easy to move the wheel when you are moving anyways.

Anyways, if it is designed right, it works well. The electronic steering also give more HP to the motor. I love how I can turn with my pinky the entire stop to stop while sitting still no sweat. On my car I could probably do that but it would hurt by the end...
I like the stiffness of our wheels, the way it is designed you can actually feel some of what's happening on the road and that's important.

2012 Fusion Sport, 46k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav.

2004 SEL Premium, 70,xxx miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, far from stock...
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement