Candy & Lil Red's Adopted Sister - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 9726
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2003 Taurus SE Wagon. 12-2007 TCCA COTM 08-2011 TCCA ROTM
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
dlc360 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dlc360

LOL at looking under the engine cover....... I cant wait to see that myself. This is one unusual engine for sure. Its a 4.3L V8, 2 plugs per cyl and 3 valves per cyl and holds 8.5qts of Mobile 1 oil. Its sure isnt your "normal" V8.

As far as the new eyes, I have already forund an AMG version or our centenial lights, black insides with halo rings and zenon bulbs that are plug & play for this car and really arent that costly, considering what they are.

I just love that everyone we know now hates me....LOL.... when my wife tells their wifes that I bought her this for our anniversary.
I guess I set the limit kinda high this year for them.

My fleet has reached its limits Dan. This year I have traded out 3 cars and bought an extra. I would have never thought I would own 4 cars at once, let alone buy them all in the same year. My "fleet" this year in order of purchase is,
2012 Taurus SEL aka Candy
2001 Explorer Sport
1987 Porsche 924s aka Lil Red
2003 M-B CLK430 AMG (to yet be named)

I hope that most of the needed work i'll be able to do, I have already found some computer tools ill need to reset service reminders on the onboard computer.

DLC360 2003 Taurus SE Wagon.
A daily driver that thinks its a show car.
December 2007 COTM, August 2011 ROTM
Aug. 2010 T.S.O.C. COTM & 2010 T.S.O.C. COTY
24 Time Award & Trophy Winner
03/31/2006 - 04/11/2012

Presently driving,
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport 3.0L V6
2003 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Cabriolet 4.3L V8
1987 Porsche 924S 2.5L 4cyl.
dlc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
Trader Score: 0 reviews
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that engine is what I would call "different" compared to more contemporary designs. It's a SOHC engine, which is a little surprising they got all those valves (12 per bank) to operate off one cam. The two spark plugs are located towards the edges of the cylinder head, and they are independently fired at varied intervals. Apparently the dual plugs is to improve the emissions of the engine. It also has variable length intake runners to change the intake tuning with engine speed.

At any rate, a tune-up sounds like a bigger job with 16 spark plugs, two air filters, and 9 quarts of oil. I wonder if it has two oil filters or anything!
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 9726
Drives: 2003 Taurus SE Wagon. 12-2007 TCCA COTM 08-2011 TCCA ROTM
Trader Score: 1 reviews
dlc360 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dlc360

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, that engine is what I would call "different" compared to more contemporary designs. It's a SOHC engine, which is a little surprising they got all those valves (12 per bank) to operate off one cam. The two spark plugs are located towards the edges of the cylinder head, and they are independently fired at varied intervals. Apparently the dual plugs is to improve the emissions of the engine. It also has variable length intake runners to change the intake tuning with engine speed.

At any rate, a tune-up sounds like a bigger job with 16 spark plugs, two air filters, and 9 quarts of oil. I wonder if it has two oil filters or anything!
The oil filter looks like a standard filter, just a little larger. Like the older muscle car filters. Its no wonder that people talk of $100 oil changes when they take these cars to the shop for service. That thing I couldnt beleave, the battery look like something out of a semi truck, almost 2x's the size of a regular battery. But then when you consider the power equipment on this car, you can understand why. I like that its mounted in the trunk down low with the spair tire.

DLC360 2003 Taurus SE Wagon.
A daily driver that thinks its a show car.
December 2007 COTM, August 2011 ROTM
Aug. 2010 T.S.O.C. COTM & 2010 T.S.O.C. COTY
24 Time Award & Trophy Winner
03/31/2006 - 04/11/2012

Presently driving,
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport 3.0L V6
2003 Mercedes Benz CLK430 Cabriolet 4.3L V8
1987 Porsche 924S 2.5L 4cyl.
dlc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

"it's not your normal V8"... Its a mercedes benz, god only knows what they normal is compared to what they do.............. 16 spark plugs reminds me of a rotary engine that has 2 plugs per rotor or whatever. Not 16 though!

I'm not a fan of german cars. yeah, they are nice sometimes, but I've never enjoyed their maintenance. Maybe it's just my bad experience, but I had a VW Passat 1.8T. KILLER on the maintenance. It was a 5 speed and honestly, SO MUCH FUN to drive (believe it or not lol!)... spent so much money on that car over 2 years, finally traded it in (wasn't my car, my moms).

Of course my mom has also had bad experience with chrysler... two minivans blew up at about 105k miles (not literally, but thousands worth of fixes needed to be done at the same time).

Personally I think that car has a very good looking motor and I love your porche, but I will never buy a german car unless I'm buying a near brand new one and planning on getting rid of it before the warranty is up! Got to drive a 2012 M3, that was so much fun... wouldn't ever buy one though! I'd buy a new cadillac before then

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post

Only other engine I can think of that sounds somewhat similar would be a Ford Modular V8. They released the 3-valve, SOHC version in 2004. It doesn't have 16 spark plugs, though. It also only takes 7qts of oil. I love SOHC/DOHC V8 engines, the modular engine is probably my favorite.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlc360 View Post
I hope that most of the needed work i'll be able to do, I have already found some computer tools ill need to reset service reminders on the onboard computer.
I've found that there's plenty of aftermarket and internet support for my Audi's. Since the dealers and indy shops charge so much, the DIY market is big. I found all the info I needed without joining a single Audi forum, and I took the entire front of the car off, and removed the entire valvetrain. Maybe someday I'll join one or two
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement