HI all, long time no see. Who wants to see some dirty engine pictures? I got lots.
I did the intake gaskets in the windstar. It's a 99 3.8. It had a bunch of codes and was stalling out and missing at stop lights. It was down on power too. It still has a bad oxygen sensor though. Anywho, on to the pictures:
The first picture is after I removed the upper intake, it took around 15 minutes and I didn't bother taking the cowl crap off.
Here it is with the middle intake out, this was also very easy. Note the darkened gasket surfaces. This engine loves to suck oil from the PCV
Fuel rail coming out, I made my own disconnect tool, it was free and easy.
shaft bushings were either badly worn or busted.
This is the lowest intake coming off, now we can look at the lifter valley and balance shaft! One of the bolts holding the lower intake had a mix of oil/water all around it, so something must have been leaking.
Here we are, it isn't nearly as dirty as it looks, once the valve covers come off you can see how clean the engine is inside.
I didn't have the tool to remove the heater hose coming off the intake manifold, so it never technically left the engine bay, I just moved it around.
Now it's all cleaned up. Notice all the tools sitting in the lifter valley. The front head had a varnish brown tinge, the rear head is as clean as the day it rolled off the line. Funny thing is, the front head looks cleaner after a much needed oil change, it was 1000 miles overdue when that picture was taken. It used less than half a quart in over 6,000 miles!
Another closeup of the head.
That's the best picture I could get of the rear head, very clean. Except for the crap I got in it.
Test fitting the intake gaskets, I used sealant where indicated in alldata.
Another shot of everything clean and ready for reassembly. (if you go back 5 pictures, you can see the before shot).
Now it's ready for the middle and upper intake, I didn't take many pictures at this point, since I was running out of time and daylight. (if you go back 12 pictures, you can see the before shot (second picture from the top).
I got it all back together and tried starting it, the engine was running like **** and I was pretty upset. Then I realized I missed the hose going to the brake booster. Problem solved. I drove it around the block twice, then changed the oil. Then took it out to my buddy so I could use his OBD
scanner to clear and check the codes, the only two that came back are for the failed oxygen sensor. So now I gotta spend $50 on that and no more check engine light for me. It has been two weeks and nothing leaks. I used all felpro gaskets ordered from rockauto.
Over the summer, I also changed the egr
feedback sensor, the radiator and replaced the tranny cooler (someone installed it before I got the van, it wasn't installed well and it vibrated/rubbed on the rad cradle until it leaked.).